Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This Week's Picks




This doesn’t have anything to do with football, but I was sad to hear about the death of Andy Williams. Anyone around my age associates Andy Williams with the song, “Moon River”, which was one of the last great ballads and Christmas. He had that great but odd song, “The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year”, which spoke of a great Christmas tradition of “telling scary ghost stories”. I never knew anyone who told ghost stories during Christmas. I shudder to think of the scary ghost stories I would have heard growing up in Georgia.  Before we read the second chapter of Luke, I would like to tell you the story of The Hook Man of Blood Mountain. ..”

Andy Williams was a part of the generation of entertainers that shaved, combed their hair, and wore sweaters.  That generation is gone and we’re left with entertainers like Madonna who promises to strip naked if the President is re-elected.  Andy Williams may have been a fuddy-duddy, but he was a classy fuddy-duddy.


This Week’s Picks!




Rocky Bottom vs. Big Dogs:  Do you ever get the feeling that Derek Dooley has already posted his resume on Monster.com? “Young Head Coach Seeks New Career Opportunities That Doesn’t Include Wearing Orange Pants. References include Nick Satan and My Pappy. Plus, my mom.” If the Volunteers had lost to Akron, he would have been ridden out on the rails. UGA wins.


Raiders of Blue vs. Blue Bees: The famous Manis Jinx hit Georgia Tech hard last week. I said Georgia Tech might not lose a game for the rest of the year. Silly me; I get “lose” and “win” mixed up sometimes. Hey, Tech is just a play or two away from being 4-0 instead of 2-2 and I’m only 12 inches away from being 6’6”.   Tech hosts a money game for Middle Tennessee State, whose motto is “The only major university near The Slick Pig”.  Tech wins.

Baptist Bears vs. Almost Heaven? West Virginia? Baylor was the third college in a row to be roughed up by The University of Louisiana Interstate 20 last week. Anyway, they play West Virginia. Pray for them-it won’t be pretty. West Virginia wins.


Urban Ohio vs. Meechigan State: Don’t you just hate Big Ten Football this year?   Nobody seems all that good and Urban Meyer is back. Ohio State wins.


Texsas vs. T.Boone State:  Does it bother anyone but me that The Longhorns have their own television network? Oh, sorry, there were a lot of people.  Texas is supposedly the better team. Oklahoma State is the alma mater of the guy that fixes my computer.  SUPER TWP UPSET SPECIAL- The Cowboys win.


Samford vs. Georgia Southern:  The Bulldogs of Samford make the 15 hour ride from one state over to play  Georgia Southern (College Anthem: “I Gotta Get Drunk and I Sure Do Dread It”). Samford is 4-0. It’ll be a tough game. Eagles win.



THE TWP DIVISION THREE SUPER SPOTLIGHT GAME OF THE WEEK: Louisiana College vs. Howard Payne: Has it really been 12 years since my other Alma Mater brought football back to campus?  LC had a good year last year and now play Howard Payne. Who was Howard Payne? I have no idea, but he has a university named after him despite his middle name of “Isa”  (I’ve laughed at that joke for 36 years).  LC wins.


No comments:

Post a Comment