Friday, October 18, 2019

This Week's Picks Week 8


I did something last week I thought I would never do.

I went to a homecoming football game at my alma mater.

In case you are new, I am a graduate of Kennesaw College, class of 1983.  I majored in history and minored in political science.

Kennesaw College was a small commuter school when I was there. It was everybody's last chance, I guess.  I can't tell you how many people I knew that started someplace else and ended up at Kennesaw.

One time, while going to class, I heard a guy say, "I flunked out of Clemson so I came here to get my grades up and now I'm flunking here."

Before it was Kennesaw College, it was Kennesaw Junior College.  My class was the fourth graduating class as a senior college. Still, you would be surprised how people would argue with me over my degree. Once when I said I had a BA from Kennesaw, someone said I was lying because it was a junior college. They were not kidding. I offered to bring my diploma in because I wasn't kidding either.


As time went on, Kennesaw College grew. It became Kennesaw State College and started offering MBA and EMBA degrees. One day, Kennesaw State College became Kennesaw State University and now it is the third-largest university in the state, behind only the University of Georgia and Georgia State University.

Now Kennesaw State has a football team. They are pretty good. They play in the Big South Conference in the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). They have won the Big South twice.

I saw the homecoming parade.  I met the President of Kennesaw State, the athletic director, the cheerleaders, members of the ladies' basketball team, and the students who paint their bodies in gold in the student section.  I had a wonderful time.

On top of all that, unlike several other teams in the state of Georiga, Kennesaw State won.

I would like to thank Caric Martin, who knows everybody on the face of the earth, for hooking me up with this great deal.

This Week's Picks.

Jawjer vs Kenyucky:  If there is any team that had it worse last week than the Atlanta Braves last week, it was the Georgia Bulldogs. It is bad any time the Bulldogs lose to the Chickens and it was bad last week. Oh well, Georgia usually Georgia's it up at least once during the season. Now, they can't make another mistake. They can still win the East. But first, they have to beat Kentucky. They better, or you're going to hear more of the "Kirby's not so Smart.  UGA wins.

 



Buzzed vs Myamme:  Lost in all the mess last week (Braves, Dawgs, and Falcons) was the fact that Georgia Tech got killed again last week. This week doesn't look any better. This is not the Miami team of old. They are just another football team that will beat Tech.  Miami wins.


Clem's son vs Lousyville:  I know I'm supposed to be open mind, but I really wish the Clemson quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, would get a haircut.  Clemson had a close shave (get it?!) against North Carolina. However, they crushed Florida State 6,000,000 to nothing (or thereabouts).  Clemson will be in the playoff if the Manis Jinx doesn't get them.  Clemson wins.


Ellessyou vs Other Bulldogs: As they say in the Red Stick (Baton Rouge):  "Les tigers sont bein reels cette anne et les bouldogues benissent leur couer."  (Translation:  Something about the Tigers being really good and the Mississippi Bulldogs are not and let's go get drunk and get into a fight and sing about papa)    LSU wins
 

Beloved Owls vs The Chosen Frozen:  Kennesaw State travels to Clinton, South Carolina to play Presbyterian College, which oddly enough is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.  I'm not sure which Presbyterian Church they are associated with because they are millions of Presbyterian denominations there. There's Presbyterian Church (USA), Presbyterian Church of America (PCA), Presbyterian Church of The Golf Course (PCGC), et.al.  They all are of the "Reformed" tradition, which means they can buy beer.  Anyway, PC is having a pretty bad year. In fact, they haven't won a game all year.  It is predestined:  Kennesaw wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment