Thursday, September 5, 2019

This Week's Picks



You can always count on one surprising college football game in any college football year.

For example, several years ago, Appalachian State beat Michigan, at THE BIG HOUSE. That was an unexpected victory, sort of like Trump over Clinton.

However, even Appalachian State over Michigan was nothing like Georgia State beating Tennessee.

It wasn't the first time a Sun Belt conference team defeated an SEC school. Louisiana-Monroe defeated Alabama in 2007.

Georgia State didn't defeat Tennessee. Georgia State beat Tennessee. It wasn't luck. It wasn't a blocked field goal. The Panthers. The blessed Panthers beat Tennessee.

Clay Travis said this was the worst thing to ever happen to a bunch of Tennessee Volunteers since the Alamo.  At least at the Alamo, they were put out of their misery.  The 2019 edition has the rest of the season to slog through.






This Week's Picks




Dawgs vs The State of Murray.  In case you flunked geography in high school or went to Sprayberry, there is not a state in the union called "Murray". However, Murray State is in Kentucky and their team is called "The Moonshiners".  I know, that's kind of weird. Wait, check that. Murray State's team is called "The Erasers".  Hold on, fact check time. Snopes has just advised me that Murray State's team is called "The Racers". A famous alumnus is Bill Bailey, who came home, and is now a former mayor of Seymour, Indiana. That's all I got.  Dawgs win! 



Bumbles vs Bullies:  Both Georgia Tech and South Florida had really bad games last week. Tech was blown out by Clemson and South Florida got whacked by Wisconsin.  If there is a game the Bees can win, it would be this one. Oh, why not?  Bees win!
 


Ellesyou vs Tessas:  I know a lot of you think I just sit down and rip TWPs out with no thought at all. That is incorrect.  Sometimes I sit down and pop open a can of Coke Zero and rip these out.  However, I am going to cut and paste something I found on this thing called The Internet.  "It will be only the second game played between the two schools in over 50 years, and the first in the regular season since 1954."  Isn't it odd that LSU and Texas haven't played in a regular-season game in 66 years?  After several down seasons, Texas is playing better and LSU is still smarting on having to play in the same conference as Alabama.  But for sheer entertainment value, you can't beat LSU coach Ed Oregron, who was raised down in the swamp. He hunted gators for a living. He'd just knock 'em in the head with a stump.  I think LSU is better.  LSU wins!






Stony Brook vs Utah State;  Occasionally, I will weigh in on schools I know absolutely nothing about (all together now: "Oh Really?!").  Utah State is out in the Mountain West Conference and it is where my friend Paul's son goes to college.  I will say that based solely on the pictures on Facebook, Utah State looks like a beautiful school.  Their football team is pretty good.  This week they are playing Stony Brook, which is one of your fancy-schmancy Long Island schools.  I know less about Stony Brook than I do Utah State. However, I can tell you a famous alumnus of Stony Brook is Joy Behar. If that isn't a reason to pull for Utah State, I don't know what is.  Utah State wins!





KSU vs KSU: My Beloved Owls fly up (get it?) to Kent, Ohio to play Kent State University. Here are some of the alumni of Kent State:  Drew Carey, Steve Harvey, Michael Keaton, Chrissie Hyde, Joe Walsh, most of the band Devo, Nick Saban, and Lou Holtz.  Kennesaw State's alumni: me, Mac Powell, and Ty Pennington. I read that Kent State has a 69% chance of winning this game. If my math skill doesn't fail me, that means the Owls have a 31% chance of winning.  The mayor of Owl Town, Caric Martin, has issued a proclamation preventing me from just saying "KSU Wins". Okay, Mr. Mayor:  Owls win!




No comments:

Post a Comment