Thursday, August 29, 2019

This Week's Picks 2019



Here we are back again.

For 17 years, I've done some form of "This Week's Picks".

Before Facebook and Twitter, there was something called "message boards".  Somebody started one for the graduates of my high school. It was called Wheeleralumni.com.   You could post topics and my fellow Wildcats would comment.

It was fun, but I will tell you that some people take  College Football very seriously and do not have a sense of humor if you poke fun at their team.  I call most of these people "Auburn fans".

Ha, ha. Just a joke. Actually, they are called "Tech Fans",

No, really, just joking again. Tech fans are fine considering they are insane. I mean, getting a Tech fan to admit that Tech is a middling team is like pulling teeth. They will pull out all sorts of algorithms to prove that Tech is better than every team in the SEC, including Alabama.

For reasons that can be only described as "Wheeler", the Wheeler alumni.com went away and I went to another Wheeler alumni message board. It was there, I decided to make picks on all of the bowl games. Do you know how many bowl games are played? Billions.

After that season, I decided to join the blogging world. TWP became a weekly blog post because one thing nobody ever tells you about blogging: you have to have content.

2012 almost killed me, blogging wise. I would blog on whatever I found interesting then I would also do TWP.  The next year, I just posted it on my Facebook page. Then I brought it back to my blog. I'm going to try to post multiple posts this year: TWP and Other Posts.

Welcome back.

This Week's Picks!

Jawja vs The Commode Doors: UGA begins its season trying to figure out a way to beat Alabama by playing Vanderbilt.  Usually, UGA starts with Southwestern Northeast State or some other directional school.  Vandy has up and down years if you describe up as "winning more games than you lose". Although UGA is in a minor rebuilding year, they shouldn't have a problem.  Dawgs win.

Bumbles vs Number One:  Finally, the Paul Johnson era has ended at Tech. His "Triple Option" Offense was fun to watch the first billion times you saw it. The Geoff Collins era has begun and his offense is more "conventional" than Johnson's.  It really doesn't matter which offense is played in this game because Tech is playing last year's champion, Clemson.  Clemson is bigger, stronger, and faster than Tech. Oh yeah, they are better too. Don't feel bad Bees, there are 148 other teams in the same boat.  Clemson wins.


Jawja Suthern vs Ellesyou:  If there is a crazier place on earth than Georgia Southern University (Motto:  "It Is Five O'Clock Somewhere"), it is Louisiana State University.  The Eagles of my son's alma mater had a couple of rough years, but it seems like they are back on track. They "could" give LSU some trouble, but I just don't see them winning this game. LSU wins.


Quackers vs War Tigers: In case you didn't know, Auburn fans have a bit of an inferiority complex. Imagine having to be an Auburn fan in Alabama. First with Bear Bryant and all his teams and now with Nick Saban. Maybe that's why the school's motto is "We Can't Have Nice Things". Boy, I really do not like this game for Auburn. I just don't. The Gus Bus is like a Greyhound bus: It is a dog of a way to get around. Oregon wins.


Beloved Owls vs Point University:  No joke, the President of Point University once threw me a touchdown pass in a touch football game. That was the highlight of my athletic career.  My Owls are rebuilding some this year, but they should be okay against Point.  Owls win!





T

No comments:

Post a Comment