Monday, November 21, 2011

This Week's Picks

Broadcasting lost a legend this week with the passing of Larry Munson, who was the play by play announcer for the Georgia Bulldogs. You did not listen to Larry Munson-you experienced him. He was an absolute hoot because you never knew what would come out of his mouth (and I’m pretty sure he didn’t know either).

I loved the Munson moments during the games like everyone else. But I loved the other Munson moments, his “Larry Munson on Sports” which was on WSB-AM for years. During the latter years, Munson would speak more about “The Movie Group” and what they went to see then he would about sports. He would talk about seeing the latest Julia Roberts flick and how much he enjoyed it. Something about the thought of Larry Munson watching “America’s Sweetheart” strikes me as funny. I would pay to hear somebody imitate Larry Munson giving his review of “The Matrix”.

He also hosted “Bulldog Hotline”. “Bulldog Hotline” is the typical Deep South college football show. It is a show for the true believers- the ones that know that we have to get that kid from Waycross to sign, even if he has a 35 IQ and eats spaghetti with his fingers.

Larry: “Al from Austell, you’re on The Bulldog Hotline”.

Al: “Uh, Larry, I know it is early April but I’ve been looking over the schedule for not only this season but for the upcoming five seasons. I honestly don’t know how we can lose a game. I’ll hang up and listen to your answer.”

Larry: “I did the same thing too but I don’t know how we can win a game. Auburn signed a massive nose tackle from Columbus, and boy, it is just going to be rough to even field a team, much less play in a game.”

Larry Munson was simply a great radio broadcaster. We’ll never find another one like him or our pair of hob nail boots.

This Week’s Picks!

Dawgs vs. Bees: I am one of those unusual people who roots for both teams since I didn’t go to either school. Howevah, when it is UGA versus Tech, I root for Georgia since I’ve been washed in the blood of the lamb. Tech’s had an odd year-they beat Clemson handily, but almost blew it against Duke. Georgia slept walked against Kentucky last week. Georgia’s defense should be used to the triple option by now. Georgia wins.



Bamy vs. Eagles of War: Last Saturday, the Georgia Southern Eagles put up 21 points against Alabama, more than any other team this year. Auburn wishes they could put up 21 point against Bama. They also wish Cam Newton had a brother. Bama wins.


The Other White Meat vs. Went In Dumb-Come Out Dumb Too: The SEC has three of the top teams in The BCS rankings. It also has a team coached by Satan. LSU wins and goes to Atlanta.



Old Mess vs. Messy State: The annual Ole Miss-Mississippi State game is called “The Egg Bowl” for reasons known only to the people of the Great State of Mississippi. This year it should be called “The Rotten Egg Bowl” because both teams have stunk it up big time this year. At least, Mississippi State tries. The Other Dogs win.



The Only Ohio State University vs. Meechigan: Last week I picked Michigan to lose against Nebraska. Of course, the only game I called incorrectly last week-Michigan kicked some Husker hind ends. I always enjoy this game because I like seeing Ohio State lose, I’m not sure why. Maybe I’ll pray about it. Michigan wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment