Wednesday, December 9, 2009

This Weeks (Heisman) Picks!

No picks on games this week. Just too busy with Jingle Bell rocking around the Christmas tree at my wife office’s party. Plus, the boy is coming home from his first semester in college. Plus, Christmas shopping. Plus getting my wife’s car fixed. Plus a million other things.

Aside for the Army-Navy game, the Division One season ended last week. Division Two is having their championship in Florence, Alabama! If there is one thing that says, ‘well done’ it is a trip to Florence, Alabama. Grand Valley will play Northwest Missouri. Actually, it is a pretty fun game, but I wouldn’t know who to pick.

The FCS is in their semi-final round with Appalachian State facing Montana and William & Mary playing Villanova. Just a hunch, but I think Appy State will crush Montana, simply because of speed. I think Nova will beat Bill and Mary

It is now time for me to give my Heisman pick! (The sound of trumpets).

First of all, let me say of all of the awards that are given in this world, the Heisman has always been the one that never made a lot of sense. It is supposed to be for the “best player”, if that player happens to be a quarterback or a running back.

This year there are five candidates. Two of them are on it for the career, not their season stats. One is someone most of the nation has never seen play and another has a name nobody can pronounce. Additionally, there is one player, C.J. Spiller of Clemson, who not even on the list, but should be.

The two quarterbacks, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy have had incredible careers, but this year, they just haven’t been the dominant player that the winner of the Heisman should be. McCoy damaged his chances last week against Nebraska. Frankly, the Tim Tebow show has gotten a little stale. He’s a great everything, but it is just not his year.

Toby Gerhart of Stanford is second in the nation in rushing and first in scoring. He goes to Stanford, which is a Brainiac school, plus he is a rare White running back (I just thought I’d throw that in for the haters). However, he plays in the Pac 10, which brings him down a notch for me.

What do you do with a problem like Ndamukong Suh? He is the dominate defensive tackle. The Heisman, however, has a bias against defensive players. My solution: if the Heisman is the best player, make all of the winners of the various position awards (Like the Johnny Unitas award, and Butkus award, etc) on the stage of the Heisman. That way, the average fan could appreciate the career of an Ndamukong Suh as much as he would a quarterback)

That leaves Mark Ingram of Alabama. He was the best player on the best team. That to me equals the Heisman Trophy.

There seems to be a push from the media for Gerhart. He might win it. I don’t know if the Heisman voters have been able to watch a lot of his games. If this were the Oscars, I would think Gerhart and Ingram would split the halfback vote with McCoy and Tebow splitting the qb vote. That would make Suh the first defensive lineman the winner.

I just don’t see any of that happening. I think Ingram will win with McCoy somehow coming in second.

On a personal note, I must comment on the resignation of Scott Jones as the Head Football Coach of the Kennesaw Mountain Mustangs. The Mighty Mustangs had a poor record this year and they have never been to the playoffs. So it wasn’t quite unexpected. However, Scott is a good guy and he treated my son well.

I hope for him and his family all the best. Our time in the program was enjoyable and I was able to see first hand all of the work that goes into being a head coach. It is easier to criticize a head coach than to be a head coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment