Sunday, August 28, 2022

This Week's Picks 2022

 

 

Well, here we are, back again! Another College Football season is here.

Looky here, as my dad would say: it is the 20th anniversary of This Week's Picks!

This Weeks Picks began as a topic on Wheeler Alumni.Com, which was for all of the sterling graduates of Wheeler High School. This was back when the internet was new, and there was nothing called "social media" (Facebook, or as the great Tater of Texas calls it, "Facebutt").

My idea was to have a little fun with the college football season, which I have noticed people take very seriously, at least here in the South.

It was popular on the site. I soon learned that Georgia Tech has the best football program in the world and there are algorithms to prove it. 

Well, as Bob Dylan said, the times they are a-changed.  I discovered that little ole me could have a blog and I could put that blog on Facebutt Facebook.

So, each fall since 2009, I've been sharing This Week's Picks  on Facebutt Facebook because I need content for my blog. 

College Football has changed since then. For example, there is a playoff system now.  Players also get paid by the "Name In Likeness" scheme.  A player, if he's good enough, can make a lot of extra change to pay for pizza if he is good enough. You would be surprised to learn that most of the players with hefty NIL contracts play for Alabama, Texas A&M and other SEC schools.  Just what amateur athletics needs:  Young men with a lot of money!

This Week's Picks!


Notice A School Missing?


Jawja vs Quackers:  When we last saw college football, we saw UGA defeat Alabama, as was foretold in the Book Of Revelation, proving there is a kind and loving God. Oregon has a new coach and only 420 different combinations of uniforms.  UGA lost a lot to the NFL, but this is an opportunity to prove that UGA is just reloading and not rebuilding.   Dawgs win!

 


 

Wrecked vs Clem's Son: Since Coach Geoff took over as head coach of The Yellow Jackets, his record is 9-25.  One of those wins was against my beloved Owls last year.   Tech schedule is pretty brutal and it looks like Coach Geoff will soon be able to use Mark Spain to sell his house.  Clemson wins.

 

Something To Think About

 


Bamy vs The School Of Paul Wickenhiser's Son:   Paul Wickenhiser is a guy I went to Wheeler with, and I think he was in my Latin class, but my memory is fuzzy because there's been a lot of Diet Cokes since then.  His oldest son went to Utah State. I must admit it is a beautiful school based on Paul's pictures on Facebutt Facebook.   Where was I? Oh yeah, football. I really don't see Bama losing anyone not named Georgia for a while.  Bama wins.

 

  Nicer Than Tuscaloosa


Ahia State vs. Our Lady: According to ESPN College Game Day, THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES have  99 players and all of them could win The Heisman Trophy at the same time.  You never really know how Notre Dame will play in an early big game.  The Ohio State wins.

 

 

Semi's vs Ellesyou: When Brian Kelly signed on as the new head coach at LSU, he spoke to the crowd at a basketball game in a Southern accent that was as bad as the little girl in The Shake-N-Bake commercial in the 70's, especially when he finished his speech with "Ann Ah helbed".  Despite all of this, he should help LSU after the trainwreck of Coach O (sounds like the title of a Gordon Lightfoot song).  LSU wins.

 

The Child's Age:  26

 


My Beloved Owls vs Baptist Bulldogs:  In Kennesaw State news, the Owls have joined a new conference, The ASUN.  I'm not sure what that really means, but I think it means they won't have to go up to New Jersey to play a football game.  This years, the Owls begin with Samford University, a Baptist school in Birmingham, Alabama. (Motto:  "A place where Baptists go to college".)  What the heck, Owls win.

No comments:

Post a Comment