Thursday, October 25, 2018

This Week's Picks Week 9


Here's the answer to the question "What happened to This Week's Picks Week 8?"

Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Kennesaw State all were off in Week 8.


I made an executive decision.  Since Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Kennesaw State were off, I would be off too.  Some people say I'm off all the time.

Since the world headquarters of This Week's Picks is in Georgia, I have to pick the Georgia and Georgia Tech games.  In the South, you have to pledge an allegiance to a school when you are young. When I was a kid, I picked Georgia because my cousin went to Georgia and we watched "The Vince Dooley Show" on WSB-TV every Sunday after church.

I've never been too wild about Tech.  I mean, all of that math.  But as the years have gone by, I've known a ton of fine folks that are Tech graduates. I generally pull for Tech when they are not playing Georgia, which I think is very reasonable.

Kennesaw State is my alma-mater. I almost wear exclusively Owl spirit wear when I am spirit wearing. Ten years ago, I couldn't even imagine doing that. Back then, announcing you were a Kennesaw State graduate was done in a hushed whisper. Now I tell everyone I was in the FOURTH graduating class.

So yes, when the Dawgs, Jackets, and Owls are off, I am off too.

This Week's Picks!


Hurt Puppies vs New And Improved Lizards:  The World's Largest Drunkfest.  UGA vs Florida. A couple of weeks ago, UGA lost to LSU and really looked bad doing it. Meanwhile, Florida has been slowly improving. If I believed in the "Manis Jinx", I would pick Florida.  I really don't have a handle about how good/bad UGA is, but this game should give me a good indication.  UGA wins!




Wrecked vs Gobblers:  Well, I do have a handle about Georgia Tech this year. They are simply not very good.  The offense is just back yard football and I'm not sure what happens to the defense.I keep reading that it is not CPJ's fault. I'm not sure whose fault it would be then. Tech should win a couple of more games this year. This isn't one of them. Virginia Tech wins!





I Owe Ya  vs Lions of Nittany:  I'll be upfront. I don't know much about the state of Iowa.   I saw the movie "The Bridges of Madison County" which was about a tryst involving Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. Before the magic moment Clint said, "Go ahead, make my day". <rimshot>  Look, you don't get that type of humor from Finebaum.  Iowa is one of those teams that looks like it could win a couple of big games but then they end up losing. They take on Penn State, which is not quite up to the glory days of when Joe Pa was hiding pedofiles, but the Nittany Lions are getting there.  It would be great if Iowa won. They won't.   Penn State wins!




Aggie A&M vs Messy State:  Jimbobbojerryjeff Fisher has done pretty good in his first year at Texas A&M (Notable alumni: Lyle Lovett. Really). The Aggies have lost two games:Alabama and Clemson.  Mississippi State has lost three SEC games, but they beat Auburn as the Lord commanded them.They are going to need the Lord's Army to defeat A&M.  Aggies win!





Appy State vs Jawja Suthern:  Just a publishing note. Sometimes college football schedule games on Thursday Night just to mess with This Week's Picks. This is one of those weeks. So, if you are reading this on Saturday, you'll know who won this game. Maybe. Anyway, as you all know, my son Ben Manis The Great Number 38, is a graduate from Georgia Southern University, which is located in Statesboro, Georiga, the home of Blind Willie McTell.  "Nobody could sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell" is what Bob Dylan said. If you have ever spent any amount of time in Statesboro, Georgia, you'll know why Blind Willie sang the blues.  To say Appalachian State and Georgia Southern are rivals is an understatement. These two schools alumni, faculty, staff, and teams hate each other.  Appalachian State is ranked. They've only lost one game this year-to Penn State in overtime. Georgia Southern only has one loss-to Clemson.  I would love to see Georgia Southern win. But, sorry son, this is business.  Appalachian State wins!




My Beloved Owls vs Charleston Southern:  After the UGA debacle in Baton Rouge and the weekly Tech dumpster fire, Kennesaw State was the highest ranked team in the state. They are ranked second in the FCS polls. Not too shabby, if I say so myself. Owls win!

No comments:

Post a Comment