Thursday, September 27, 2018

This Week's Picks Week Five


Before we hop into this weekend's game, allow me to discuss something personal.

No, it doesn't involve me directly. It has nothing to do with my friends and family.

I want to discuss Bill Cosby.

(This is sort of college football related. Cosby played on the Temple University football team and had a great bit about playing Hofstra University.)

If there ever was a Mount Rushmore for comedians, I think Bill Cosby would be on it.

All of his records on the Warner Brothers label released in the '60's are classics. Every one from "Bill Cosby Is A Very Funny Fellow...Right", "Why Is There Air?" (answer: to blow up basketballs), "Revenge" to "MPH". It was like he recorded, in comedy terms, a Sgt Pepper or Blonde On Blonde every time.

That is my Bill Cosby. Oh sure, a lot of people liked Dr. Huxtable, but that was Cosby in cruise control. My Bill Cosby talked about Junior Barnes, Fat Albert, Old Weird Harold, and The Chicken Heart.

At one time, he was the funniest man on the planet.

As a kid, I memorized his stories. I know I'm not the only one.

I'm not going to rehash his downfall. It is hard to believe but apparently what we heard in whispers for years was true. And what is true is very sad, particularly for the victims. It is also sad that the man worshiped by many had a legion of demons he just couldn't control.

Now, as an elderly man, he has been put in handcuffs and shuffled off to jail.

It is just hard to reconcile my Bill Cosby with that Bill Cosby.  It is a shame.




This Week's Picks

Jawja vs Ten-uh-see: UGA wasn't all that hot against Missouri, but they still won. Lord, what can I say about Tennessee?  Nothing except to ask do you know why they raised the drinking age to 32 in Tennessee?  They want to keep alcohol out of the high schools! Did you hear about the guy that was staying at a swanky Knoxville hotel?  He called the front desk and said "I gotta leak in my sink" and the guy at the front desk said, "Go ahead".  A Tennessee State Trooper pulled over this orange and white truck with UT bumper stickers all over it. The State Trooper said, "You got an I.D.?" and the driver said, "Bout whut?".  Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience! Remember to tip your waitress and try the veal!  UGA wins!
 



Wrecked vs Falcons Not From Around Here:  Welp, Tech played just as well against Clemson as I thought they would.  Things must be heating up down on The Flats because the @NotPaulJohnson guy tweeted: "Take your fair weather self $5 and go to wal-mart and get yourself a Georgia hat. Plenty of room on their bandwagon."  Someone replied: "Fair weather? You could say that if last year we won the ACC. But this is the 3rd time in 4 we have sucked. I don’t think we have fair weather fans. Just fans tired of a losing program."  This would have been a major big deal, but only three people responded to the tweet, which indicates the interest in the program.  But let not your heart be troubled my bumble bee pals, Bowling Green Not In Kentucky University is coming down and this will be your second win of the year. Buzz, buzz.  Tech wins.



Ahia State vs Lions from Nittany  I have never been an Ohio State fan and I've never been that crazy about Penn State. But, they're not coached by Saint Urban The Forgetful.  Penn State wins!
 



Other Bulldogs vs Reptiles:  It looked like Mississippi State was going places this year and then came the Kentucky game. Let that sink in. Things must be looking up for Florida because I'm getting requests not to pick them to win because of some myth is known as "The Manis Jinx". I've picked 19 out of 21 correctly this year. I think we can safely say "The Manis Jinx" is dead.  Florida wins! (Mississippi State fans: I accept payment in cash, check, money orders, and bitcoins)





Trees vs Our Lady:  Stanford looks like a good team. I wish I could stay awake long enough to watch them play.  Notre Dame is having a pretty good year. They are Number 8 in the country primarily due to a stirring win over The Backslidden Deacons of Wake Forest.  I just think Stanford is better. Stanford wins!



My Beloved Owls vs Baptist Bulldogs:  Last Saturday, the lovely Mrs. Picks and I decided to go the geriatric Longhorn's on Dallas Highway. I call it that because when we go there,  we're usually the youngest people in the restaurant and we ain't spring chickens. We passed the Clark Atlanta team bus. This wasn't good for them because we do not live near Kennesaw State's stadium, The Fifth-Third Quarter Inch Liter Bank Stadium.  Clark Atlanta eventually found the stadium. Kennesaw State beat them 70-13.  Samford is 1-3 so far this year. Ha, ha.  Kennesaw State wins!

Not about football, but this is pretty much how Georgia colleges are.

No comments:

Post a Comment