Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston



All my powers of expression and thoughts so sublime
Could never do you justice in reason or rhyme.   Bob Dylan


I have never been to Boston. I have always liked the Red Sox, especially when it seemed like they would invent new ways of losing The World Series. It is the place of “Havahd” and The Kennedys, and the song “Please Come To Boston”, a maudlin ballad from the 70’s that said “Please come to Boston for the springtime. I’m staying here with some friends and they got lots of room. You can sell your paintings on the sidewalk by the café where I hope to be working soon". (They don’t write them like that anymore.)

My son spent his spring break in Boston. He texted me a picture of  the “Cheers” restaurant. He said, “Nobody knew my name”. I got to give him credit-that was a good one.

I was listening to Michael Medved coming home from work. I like Medved. He wrote a great book about bad movies and has a really neat show. He said, “Oh, there has been an explosion at The Boston Marathon.”

That’s how you get the news sometimes. You are driving along and Neal Boortz says that there has been an explosion in Oklahoma City. Sometimes you’re at work and someone says that a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center. I remember wondering if it was foggy and the pilot just didn’t see it.   I learned I was wrong.

What happened yesterday at The Boston Marathon is an apt metaphor for life. You are just running along and then something happens and everything changes.

We don’t know who set two bombs to go off near the finish line in Boston the other day. Just another deranged whack job of a person who thinks he can accomplish his big grand scheme of "how things should be" by killing an eight year boy.  We know that the bombs were  two six liter pressure cookers with one containing shards of metal and ball bearings with the other containing nails that were hidden inside black duffle bags on the ground.

You just wonder what in Sam Hill goes on in somebody’s mind that would do such a thing. But you can’t understand it because it is so sick and you’re not. The worst most of us do is Un-friend somebody on Facebook.

The best thing I read yesterday was a Tweet from a sportswriter, of all people. Jeff Schultz said, “Everybody is going to ask why things like this happen. There is no answer. Just pray and hope for healing and peace.  That is true:  all we can do is pray and hope that peace comes to Boston for the springtime.




No comments:

Post a Comment