Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Beatles

Today’s question comes from a 25 year old college graduate who asks, “Am I the only person who thinks The Beatles are slightly over rated?”

Before we beat this individual up, we should consider that this person was born in 1984, at the height of what musical historians call, “a real sucky time in music”. Let’s face it; the 80’s were one big blur of stupid music.

On top of that, this person was born at a time in which adults talked endlessly about “where they were” when something important happened. Usually, it started with discussing “where you were” when you heard JFK got killed and it ended with “where you were” when you first saw The Fonz.

Tucked in between was usually a long conversation about the first time you saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Here is mine. We didn’t watch Ed Sullivan at my house. It came on at the same time as “Walt Disney” and he usually had a movie about a bear cub or some kids deciding to become pirates. Plus, I’m pretty sure my parents thought there was something medically wrong with Ed Sullivan.

I’m not sure when I become aware of The Beatles, but I can confirm that if you think they make a big deal out of Obama, you have never seen what kind of deal is until you saw the big deal they made out of The Beatles.

I think to understand why The Beatles are important, you really need to look at the evolution of The Beatles and the time it took to go from “Meet The Beatles” (their first album) to “Abbey Road” (their last; “Let It Be” was recorded before “Abbey Road” and released afterwards). The time: six years (1963-1969).

To put it into some sort of perspective, Michael Jackson released “Thriller” in 1982. His follow up “Bad” (aptly named in my opinion) was released in 1987. Two albums in five years.

To go from “Love Me Do”, their first single to their last “The Long and Winding Road” is an incredible achievement both musically and lyrically.

Frankly, I’m not a big fan of “Sgt Peppers”, although I’ve always liked “Lovely Rita, Meter Maid”, and “Penny Lane” is a great song. A lot of their later songs like “I Am The Walrus” sounds like they were on drugs, which, surprise, they were.

John Lennon, to me, was a big gas bag boor. In “Let It Be” (the movie) you can see how George Harrison got tired of Paul McCartney and his bossy boots ways. Can I get a witness in saying that Billy Preston be considered the fifth Beatle?

Despite all of that, you cannot over-estimate The Beatles. Paul McCartney was 23 when he wrote these words:

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far way
  now it looks as though they’re here to stay.


The Beatles over rated? Well, George Harrison said of Elvis, “When he was great, he was really great”. The same can be said of The Beatles.

By the way, I own only one Beatles album.

No comments:

Post a Comment