Friday, February 26, 2021

Mr. Collier

 The Class of 1977 is at the age when the news of someone's passing is not unexpected,  but it is still unpleasant. 


The news of Bill Collier's death, excuse me, Mr.Collier's death was not unexpected. He had been in ill health for some time, another victim of Alzheimer's.


He was one of our amazing Social Studies teachers at Wheeler High School.  We had some real greats: Marvelous Millie Hammond, the Fabulous Kitty Love, Coach Diffley (they could make Netflix series from his career), Jan Brown (a Facebook friend), and Willie Wetumpka-Mr. Collier.


I don't know who was the first to call Mr. Collier "Willie Wetumpka". Mr. Collier was from Wetumpka, Alabama. I know almost nothing about Wetumpka, but I know Mr. Collier was from there.


He taught my brother, and he taught my wife, and he taught my wife's sister. Everyone liked him.  He gave us good grades.


He made history and social studies fun. That, as I found out in college, is apparently a difficult thing to do.

One time, in one class, he gave us this assignment. The class was stranded on a desert island. We had to write the names of one or two of our classmates to be the leaders on this desert island on a card with the reason this kid(s) should hold such an esteemed position.  I wrote the name of two basketball players in the class. The reason: "Because they are tall enough to pick coconuts."   He didn't say I wrote it, but I could tell when he read it aloud that he knew it was me.


That particular quarter Chris Moody and I joined forces and made Mr. Collier's life, um,  interesting.  At least more interesting than it should have been.


I've had a lot of teachers throughout my life. Some have been better than others

However, I can honestly say I never knew a teacher that cared more for his students than Mr. Collier.

He loved us.


So thanks, Mr. Collier, for coming to class and putting up with all of us 70's era boomer kids.

I can't remember if we ever told you, but we loved you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment