Sunday, February 10, 2019

My Kind Of Place


My generation is called "The Baby Boomers".

It refers to those of us born from 1946 to 1964. The soldiers (and in my case, sailor) came home from World War II with one thing on their minds. They created a population explosion the country hadn't seen before and haven't seen since. That population came with mouths that had to be fed.

And so, the fast food restaurant was born.

One of my earliest memories is coming home from my Aunt Elizabeth's house. Aunt Elizabeth (or as we pronounced it "Lizbeth") had a 'beauty parlor" called "Elizabeth's Style Shop".   She was my mom's "stylist" and mom would have to take me with her when she went to "the beauty parlor" (Aunt Lizbeth's house) because I was too young to leave at home.

We always visited one place on the way back home. A small fast food joint located where Powers Ferry Road met Roswell Road called "Burger Chef". We'd get two burgers and two small bags of fries. The fries were always hot and salty. A love affair was born: me and hamburgers with an order of fries.

It looked like this


Some people are hot dog people. Some people are pizza people.  Some people like tacos. Put me down as a hamburger guy.  I can always eat a hamburger. A piece of meat between two buns.

It was at school I heard of a place that was even better than Burger Chef.  It was called McDonald's.

We had a McDonald's in Marietta, but it was on "The Four Lane" (US 41).  It wasn't that far away from us, but "The Four Lane" was a busy road and Mom didn't want to hassle with making a left-hand turn with a bunch of yard apes in the car.

I'm not sure of the exact date, but I'm pretty sure Nixon was President.  A McDonald's opened on Roswell Road. Soon Burger Chef became the second choice.

McDonald's was pretty nifty back then.

They had a song:  "McDonald's is my kind of place. A clean and snappy place"

McDonald's introduced a new hamburger, "The Big Mac" with a song too. "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun".  That came out in 1974.  45 freaking years ago.  I've had my cell phone number 21 years and still don't know my cell phone number.



You had other fast food joints by then.  Burger King, which lets you have it your way. This was a slap at McDonald's because McDonald's promised you real fast food if you wanted it the way McDonald's made it.

Wendy's came to town. You could actually watch them make your hamburger if you are into that sort of thing.

I liked them all. Burger King's Whopper was good, but their fries were just okay. Wendy's hamburgers were great but their fries were thick and crusty.  McDonald's got you with their fries.

McDonald's started going downhill, in my opinion, when they began to emulate Burger King and Wendy's and to try to satisfy every customer.

At one time, getting more than one pack of ketchup from McDonald's took a subpoena. Lord don't order a hamburger without a pickle. It may take you years to get that burger. Just get the burger as they made it and take the pickle off when you got to your seat. What are you, a Rockefeller?

Now, you can order a Big Mac without a pickle if you want to be a hipster heretic. You can even get iced coffee at McDonald's and it is way better (and cheaper) than at Starbucks.

I purposefully went to McDonald's the other day.  I admit it. Their advertising got me. The sons of Donald Draper hooked me line and sinker to try a Quarter Pounder with bacon.

As the nation gets more anal retentive it is nice to know that while bacon is not good for you, it sure is awesome.  I would say more, but I'm afraid Jim Gaffigan might have it copyrighted.

They also have a new treat: Bacon and Cheese Fries. You can't tell me there's not a God.

Well, my quick review: the Quarter Pounder with bacon was okay. Not as good as I thought it would be, but it wasn't bad. The Bacon and Cheese Fries was bacon bits with that melty cheese you put on nachos.  When you got the cheese and the bacon on the fries, it was pretty good. However, most of it was cheese fries and it is messy. Duh.

Maybe I've outgrown McDonald's.  The best fast food place is Chick-fil-A, hands down. No question. They act like they want you there.  But McDonald's has always been there and will always be there because it is a hap, hap happy place even if the ice cream machine is broken.

Next Week:  The People Speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment