Thursday, November 9, 2017

This Week's Picks


Every time I think America has jumped the shark, I see something that gives me hope. Such as this comment from a reader to Clay Travis at Outkick The Coverage.

 “I can’t believe I have to request anonymity for this, but I might get fired if someone found out about this question: I’m watching the Auburn-TAMU game and the lady that’s doing the play by play, Beth Mowins, well she sucks. Most of her comments are fluff. She doesn’t seem to know the names of players. And in general, her voice annoys me something fierce. Most of all, I can’t shake the feeling that she got the job because she’s a female, not because she deserved it (I could totally be wrong and she might have paid her dues; I have no way of knowing)."

Here's the response from Clay Travis.

"I think Beth Mowins is awful and it has nothing to do with her being a woman. 

Her voice is grating to me and detracts from my enjoyment of the game, which is the exact thing that an announcer shouldn’t be doing.

The best line anyone sent me about Robert Lee being pulled off the Virginia game because of sharing a name with Robert E. Lee was the guy who Tweeted me, 'I wish Beth Mowins had been a Confederate general too.'"

I agree one hundred per-cent.  In fact, I sat down to specifically watch the Auburn-TAMU game as part of my research for this week's post. But, I heard her voice and I turned the channel.

I know. "I am woman, hear me roar".  Roar all you want to, but please don't do play by play.


This Week's Picks!


Dawgs vs WarTigers:  In case you haven't heard, UGA is the winner of the SEC East. They are also, for the second week in a row, the number one seed in the FBS playoff bracket.  This a big game. The Tiger-Eagles are a very, very good team. Aside from beating Alabama, nothing gives Auburn more pleasure than beating Georgia. StubHub shows 301 tickets left, starting at $198.00. Oh, what the heck, Georgia wins.  Barely.





Wrecked vs Other Tech:  My annual "I can't pick the wrong team on this one because both teams are Tech" pick.  Georgia Tech is probably the best 4-4 team in the country. They are not as mediocre as their record suggests.  Virginia Tech is 6-2 and not as good as their record implies. StubHub still has 996 tickets left, starting at $13.00. What a deal. In any event, Tech wins.






 Our Lady vs Myamme:  Ah yes, the old "Catholics vs Convicts" game. By the way, have you seen Miami Coach Mark "Cutie Pie" Richt lately?  The dude is growing a goatee. Or is it a Van Dyke? I get those confused.  He's gone to wearing all black too. It is kind of like a football version of Olivia Newton-John in the movie "Grease".  One minute he's the All-American Boy and the next minute he's driving grease lightning. (Look, I know I am mixing characters, but you can keep up)  (EDITOR: We've tried. We've really, really tried). One of these days, he might go get a new tattoo. He might take his Harley on a three day cruise. He might even grow a fu Manchu.  Wait. Where was I?. Oh yeah, the game.  Notre Dame has lost one game to UGA and that was by a single point. Miami barely beat FSU and Georiga Tech. That tells you all you need to know. Notre Dame wins. 

Who are you and what have you done with Mark Richt?



Aroused Lizards vs Soonerorlaterlovegonnagetcha:  I heard a rumor that teams in The Big 12 Conference have defenses. Not sure if it is true.   Oklahoma scored ten billion points last week, defeating its state rival  Oklahoma State who scored a mere 9.999 billion points.  TCU is the best team in the country named after a reptile.  It should be another high scoring affair, but Oklahoma has the law firm of Baker Mayfield on its side, so they should win.  Sooners win






My Beloved Owls vs Charleston Southern:  Last week, Kennesaw State traveled to Bozeman, Montana and defeated Montana State. They should be back in town from their trip to Bozeman any day now, since their flight only had stops in Billings, Portland (ME), El Paso, Orlando, Charlotte, Saint Louis, Dallas, and Minneapolis. Charleston Southern is 5-4, while Kennesaw State is 8-1. I think we all know who is going to win this one, don't we President Olens?  Owls wins



No comments:

Post a Comment