Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Barry



It is always a shock to learn of someone's death, particularly someone as young and vibrant as Barry Suttle.

When I learned of the news, I said something I rarely say, "Oh, my God".  I was blindsided. As George Strait would say, it came out of a blue clear sky. 

He was my age. He just celebrated his 58th birthday. His best friend took him to Pebble Beach  in February. Barry hit a hole in one.

Barry was another Wheeler Wildcat. He was a very good football and baseball player.  Now my class was unusual-the "jocks" got along with everybody and didn't make us non-jocks lives miserable.

Even with that, I really didn't know Barry well until a little invention of Mark Zuckerberg came out: Facebook.

Barry accepted my friend request and soon we became big buddies.

He was friendly to everyone.  He had a great laugh. Once, I showed him the meme of the police horse getting yelled at by a far left protester. The meme said Why Are You Yelling At Me Lady? I'm A Freakin' Horse.  Barry roared when he saw it.

He always made it a point to compliment my blog. He liked my stupid "24 Recap", which frankly, I sort of lifted from Dave Barry.  He always encouraged me. Men in their fifties usually don't encourage other men in their fifties. He said I was just as good as anybody that writes for The Marietta Daily Journal. 

It is because of that  I dedicated my Kindle book Go Ahead and Humor Me to him. 

After his kids grew up, he sold the family business and went back to college to get his Masters' degree so he could teach high school English.

Barry was an umpire in the spring and summer. During the break of his games, he would go to his truck and read Shakespeare. Really.

He said it was tough going back to school. The other students were much more, er, millennial than he was, in every way, shape, and form. But he stuck it out and he got his Master's degree.

He was in a movie too!  He played an umpire (naturally) in "42" which is about Jackie Robinson. He had a line: "Play ball!".   He said it took only one take.

He was very proud of his children. His son played professional baseball for a while. His daughter was the apple of his eye. He became a grandfather just a few weeks ago.

I must admit I heard a voice when I learned of Barry's passing. It was the voice of David Gates.

Barry had a very elastic taste in music. One of the groups he liked was Bread. The lead singer on most of Bread's '70's soft hits was David Gates. Barry liked all of their songs.

Every Tuesday on Facebook, I post a "70's Song Lyric Challenge". It is mainly a goof to get people to talk to each other, which is one of the great things about Facebook.  

This past Tuesday, I posted a lyric from "Goodbye Girl" by David Gates. I haven't heard that song in years but I heard it on Pandora last week. I thought it was going to be a "stumper"- a lyric nobody would know.

Barry did.

I sent him an inbox message. "How in the world did you know that?"  He explained he loved sappy love songs.

So, when I learned of Barry's passing, I heard David Gates singing, "Goodbye doesn't mean forever".

Goodbye, Barry. As the another 70's song said, thank you for being a friend.










13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Alan. You're the man to write about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mr. Hines. It was just something I had to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply outstanding Alan...you captured Barry within our unique class and into his adult years...your scaring me though about Bread...I could even sing the songs...I remember trying to compare which of us knew the lyrics to Bread songs and then my singing "Baby I'm a want you" with Barry and him having to stop because he was laughing so hard about how bad my singing was...but he gave me credit for knowing the lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember when we (me and you, Craig Hodnett) would sing "Come Monday"? We were a bunch of soft rock singing kids back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet tribute to our fellow classmate. I always remember Barry being such a nice guy to everyone in high school. When I told a friend this afternoon of his passing, her comment was that Barry was surely with the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bringing tears to my eyes - again... Thank you Alan - what a wonderful tribute to a terrific man that will be missed by so many. I saw a rainbow coming home tonight and could only think that it was Barry beaming down at us! Lori Lyons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for capturing the wonderful man we all loved. Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Alan! Truly sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about his smile! I met him in 6th grade and that smile was present then. Along with his passion for the Green Bay Packers. To this day, when Green Bay plays, I think of Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Alan. I am so heartbroken and overwhelmed that I haven't been able to write. Your words were beautiful and brought back so many wonderful memories of my friend. Rest in Christ, Barry, you are greatly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Alan, I'm so sorry to hear about Barry. My heart aches for you all who were so close to him. Prayers as you go through the days ahead. You did good with your words!! He would be proud!

    ReplyDelete