Saturday, January 21, 2017

The New Sheriff


Like a lot of Americans, I have this thing called "a job" and it requires me to "go to work" and therefore, I was unable to watch the Inauguration of the 45th President of The United Sates live, but I was able to review it through the magic of  DVR.  Here is my quick review as we step into this new era where we can make fun of the President again and it won't be regarded as a sin.

1)  I have no idea what Kellyanne Conway was thinking when she picked out her outfit to wear to the Inauguration. I generally don't comment about women's clothing unless there's a lot of cleavage showing (my comment: "ay caramba!").  However, it looked like a marching band outfit from the early 80's.

Kellyane Conway Hugging Dan Quayle


2)  It was good to see Bob Dole there.  If there is a  nuclear apocalypse, I'm pretty sure only Bob Dole and Keith Richards would survive.







3) Former President George W. Bush is losing his hair.





4) And this is one reason why I miss him.




5) Former President Obama. I like the sound of that.

6) I never got the cult worship of Obama. The commuting of Private Manning's sentence (Um, one thing I would like to see changed in our popular culture: if a man wants to identify as a woman and he still has his junk, he is still referred to as a man) is awful and the pardoning of Oscar Lopez Rivera is indefensible.  But, the guy could give a speech, seemed like he enjoyed the job and was a good man even though what he believes and what I believe are two different things.  All I can say to him is the refrain of an old rockabilly song: So long, good luck, and goodbye.


7) Now about that speech.  President Trump's speech sounded better on radio when I first heard it than when I watched it on TV later. From a performance stand point (note: I have taken THREE speech classes) Trump has got to do something with his hands. His hand gestures distract from his message. But, it was one of his better performances I have seen him give. He's not as good as Obama in speaking, but he's not as bad as Bush, if that makes any sense.

8) The speech itself.  President Trump could have turned around from the podium and flipped off everyone seated behind him and it would have had the same effect. Bob Schieffer said it took the "hide off of every politician". It may have come off heavy handed to the mainstream media types, but it was catnip to Trump's base who has been waiting for someone to chew out members of both parties who they feel like abandoned them.

9) Yes, the speech was dark. It was not rainbows, unicorns, and Skittles. And Chris Matthews, I was a history major too and I've studied World War II a lot. Trump's speech was nowhere close to being "Hitlerian".  You know better.

10) You remember the old Who song that said "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"?  I don't think you can say that about Trump. There's a new sheriff in town and he's going to do things his way which is different from the way things were done before. It may work. It may not. We won't know until we know.




No comments:

Post a Comment