Thursday, February 18, 2016

This Year's Obligatory Grammy Blog Post


Maybe I'm becoming a big grump, but I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother with award shows any more.

The reason is I simply don't care. I don't care if Leonardo DiCaprio wins an Oscar. I mean, I don't wish him any harm. I've enjoyed his movies over the years even though there's just something icky about him I can't put my finger on. It is just my life doesn't revolve around a rich person getting honored and praised. I thought that's what the money was for.



And no, you're not going to get me into the controversy about the "lack of diversity" in the Oscar nominees. Besides this blog's commitment to NEVER discussing the topic that never ends (Race), I can honestly say I haven't been to a movie in well over a year.  In fact, the last movie I went to was a cartoon (The Penguins of Madagascar). My wife and I were, literally, the oldest people in the theater.

I cannot begin to comment on who should and should not have been nominated.  I just know the Penguins didn't get squat.

I haven't seen the latest Star Wars movie either. I've seen the other Star Wars, beginning with the first one I saw for FREE in 1977. (There were some kids from school that worked at the theater and they let me in. I would like to thank Kathy and Debi for letting me in even if they didn't give me free popcorn.)

But over the years, I've always tried to watch The Grammys because, well, I've always tried to follow music. But music has a way of galloping ahead and I have lost track what is popular in music today. Mainly because it gives me a headache, especially Rap and Hip-Hop, but it is not limited to those genres.

Believe it or not, I know who Taylor Swift is and I might recognize one of her songs if I heard it in the grocery store. But from what I can tell most of her songs are about her boyfriends and what creeps they ended up being and it is just wee bit out of my demographic.



Country Music probably should be my demographic (middle aged white Southern male) but I don't think I can name a popular country songs except for "Girl Crush", which doesn't sound anything Loretta or Tammy would have sang.  But country music is basically real bad rock music filled with "hunks".

Like Luke Bryan. We went a taping of The Tonight Night last summer and Luke Bryan was the musical guest. Luke Bryan is a very handsome man. In fact, if my wife walked up to me and said Luke Bryan wanted to run away with her, I would tell her to go ahead. I know she loves me and all that, but, come on, the girl is human. But as a performer, he is really marginal.


Now classic rock-that's my demographic. The only problem is that all of our classic rock heroes are dying. In this year's Grammys, Lady Gaga performed a tribute to David Bowie, who was sort of like a male Lady Gaga back in the '70's. Or Lady Gaga, is a 2K female version of David Bowie.


I wanted to see the tribute to Glenn Frey from the Eagles. I must admit that his death was the first one that sort of got to me. Everybody loved the Eagles and his voice was one of the few a tone death person like me could harmonize with.



Did you think Glenn Frey would be the first member of the Eagles to die? I didn't. My money was on Joe Walsh, all the way.

But behold, the Grammy Record of The Year was "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars and this song just happens to be on my iTunes. You know when I show up I'm going to show out smother than a fresh jar of Skippy.  I got to kiss myself, I'm so pretty.














No comments:

Post a Comment