Thursday, October 29, 2015

This Week's Picks and The Force Awakens



Again, I am forced by my adoring public to address an issue.


The issue:  Why do I like Verne Lundquist?








Answer: Verne Lundquist is a great man, even if what he is describing on the field is not exactly what is showing up on the screen.


There is a meme going around that says: "The only two men in the world (Picture of Verne and his television partner Gary Danielson) that can make grown men mute their TV and listen to their wife during The Big Game!"


If I have seen that meme once, I have seen it a thousand times, mainly posted by Alabama fans. The reason for this is unclear, except that maybe Verne is not nearly reverential enough when it comes to The Crimson Tide.


One person noted that if a woman looked like Verne, she wouldn't be on TV. I have five words in response: Whoppi Goldberg and Joy Behar. They are on TV much more than Uncle Verne.


This week's picks!




The Big Bad Bees vs  Cavies:  In case you didn't know, Georgia Tech beat Florida State on a blocked field goal. If you didn't know, you must not know any Tech fans and all I got to say is: lucky you. I kid, I kid.  I am happy that Tech won and that the Jinx is now history.  Virginia is having a Virginia type of year. Yes, I still have the Virginia t-shirt that when I wear it my rippling muscular body hides the "ia" and people asked me why I am wearing a "Virgin" shirt.  Tech wins and the Jinx is goes back to Jinx land.


Old Mess vs Wartigers:  You never know if you are going to get the good Ole Miss  (beats Bama and TAMU) or bad Ole Miss. Auburn is having one of those years where it can't have nice things.  Ole Miss wins.


Texas State vs Georgia Southern:  Georgia Southern is having another Thursday night game because Thursday is the state of the weekend in Statesboro. The average weekend in Statesboro is from Thursday night to Tuesday morning. Texas State is 2-4 this year, which simply proves that I do know how to use the internet. The Eagles probably lost their chance at a bowl game. They will take their frustrations out against the Bobcats. Georgia Southern wins.


Pups vs Lizards: Well, well, well. Another Halloween, another UGA-UF Hey Let's Get Drunk and Play Fooball. At the beginning of the year, I had a W placed by this game. No way. UGA just isn't that good this year. Florida wins.


The Mighty Hooters vs  I Got Your Owls Right Here:  The Owls lost to the Fighting Falwells last week. They return home to face another Big South Conference opponent Monmouth University, which is in that Deep South state of New Jersey. It is a fairly large school, whose  motto is this: "O quid spectatis?" (Hey, what are you looking at?)  The force doesn't feel right with this one. Monmouth wins.





No comments:

Post a Comment