Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Culture Chiggers



I have been putting together a compilation of what I consider to be the "best" of Humor Me, as if that isn't the ultimate in oxymorons.

This is all part of my attempt to become a famous writer, or at least a writer that makes some money off of what he writes.

As I was going over my posts, I realized that I wasn't as political or as active in taking a stand on the hot issues of the day. There is a reason for this:  I am tired.

Seriously, I have had a death, a wedding, and a book this spring, so I'm pretty bushed. But there are somethings that have bothered me and I haven't commented on because I really didn't want to go through the hassle of defending them.

Take for example Bruce Call Me Caitlyn Jenner.  This has become a Culture Wars  Rorschach.  If you call Jenner "Caitlyn", you are a fine human tolerant human being. If you call Jenner, "Bruce", you are Adolph Hitler.

Conservatives are always blasted about "settled science", especially in regards to "Climate Change". I'm not a scientist, but when the sperm fertilizes the egg, it brings a x or y chromosome. That's settled science. Those two chromosomes determine the gender of the person. That's settled science.

True, there are some anomalies. There are woman born with  male genitalia and men born with female genitalia. (I'm surprised there was never a band called "Genitalia".) However, there are never males born with male genitalia that are really women.  Particularly when they are sixty-five years old and have fathered 6 children. This makes the person a male. That is settled science.

Now, if he wants to spend his hard earned money and "become a woman", that's his business. Live and let live is always a good philosophy. Just don't expect me to throw him a parade.

But that's not enough in today's society. No, we MUST throw him a parade. In fact, you are not even allowed to ponder the notion that perhaps since he (at least for now) has kept his original equipment and this journey just happens to be part of a reality show that just maybe this is an elaborate charade.

No, The cool kids at the cool table have determine that WE ALL MUST celebrate Jenner's new life. One tweet on Twitter said, "If you mistakenly called Caitlyn 'he' - fix it! If not shut the F---up!". Ah, our tolerant of everybody's views millennials. At least the tweet  gave us the chance to correct our grievous error of calling a person with a wiener (settled scientific name) a "he" before the order from on high to shut up the F---. (Like it was ever opened in the first place.)

There was one message board that automatically turned the "he"s into "she"s  and the "Bruce"s into "Caitlyn"s. Really.

It is all so tiresome and so worthless. It reminds me of chiggers, which are little red bugs here in the South that can burrow under your skin and make you scratch. They won't kill you, but they are pain in the neck.

There are a million and one culture chiggers these days.Each one demand an immediate opinion and if it is wrong, the order from the cool kids is to shut up. Like it and lump it. Celebrate it and mean it.

That's why a lot of us have kind of pulled back a little. It just gets tiring trying to explain the obvious, like a why a person that has fathered six children is a man.

We're not retreating, we're just regrouping, hoping you guys find something else to do.

1 comment:

  1. Alan- this is from my dad. He was unable to post: I have to believe that your blog would be reflective of at least 51% of the U.S.population. Furthermore some things are just not worthy of debate or discussion. You have to claim Proverbs 26:4-5." Do not answer a fool according to his folly , or you will be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves.

    ReplyDelete