Here I am again, celebrating another birthday. It is my 67th, or as the kids say, my 6/7.
What does 6/7 mean?
It is the latest slang term, derived from a rap song titled "Doot Doot (6 7)" by Ludwig Van Beethoven. Check that; it is by a rapper known as Skrilla, who I am sure you have many downloads of on Spotify.
Of course, let Google help us out.
"Six seven (written as 6-7 or 67) is a viral internet meme and slang term used mostly by kids and teens. It has no fixed meaning or definition. The entire point of the phrase is to be complete nonsense that bonds younger groups while confusing adults.
If the phrase is meant to be "complete nonsense", I would say: mission accomplished.
How is it used? As a filler or projection. Per Google: "Kids yell "six-seven!" randomly or in response to hearing the numbers 6 and 7 in everyday talk (like a teacher saying "turn to page 67")."
You can imagine how hilarious it is.
Google goes on to say, "It is sometimes paired with an up-and-down hand motion (like weighing something) to vaguely mean "so-so" or "mediocre," though it is mostly just used to troll older generations."
Again, if it is simply meant to troll older generations: mission accomplished.
Every generation does things that bewilder the older generations before them. At least it is better than the previous generation that held contests on TikTok eating Tide pods. That was truly stupid and helps to explain why so many young adults are "Democratic Socialists".
Even my generation, when we were not walking to school through the snow, uphill-both ways, did things that trolled the older generation. Here I'm thinking about the popularity of Chevy Chase.
There were other things as well. Disco music, which was usually about love on the dance floor. The "Farrah" hairstyle for girls, in which they grew really long hair and curled it up to look like actress Farrah Fawcett, who was incredibly popular when I was in high school. It usually took girls about four hours to get their hair ready for school.
Of course, it usually took me a minute to get my hair presentable for school. It usually involved a brush.
I'm not here to complain about the crazy kids nowadays. I'm not here to ask them to get off my lawn, although I wish they would. I would like to point out some of the good things that have happened during my lifetime.
When I was coming along, nobody used a leash for their dog. Nobody cleaned up after their dog when the dog did dog stuff in your yard. It was your responsibility to watch where you were going so you didn't step in the neighbor's dog stuff.
Now, people clean up what their dogs leave behind. They didn't do that in '65, '73, or '85.
People used to smoke everywhere. Surgeons during surgery. The pastor in the pulpit. Your high school English teacher.
Now, as Cedric The Entertainer says, "You can't smoke on Earth no more". Cigarettes are very expensive-I don't know how anyone can pick up the habit.
When I was in junior high school, there was a class trip to the local IBM to look at computers. The computers took up several rooms.
Now, everybody has a PC and a laptop. On top of that, we carry around a computer that fits in the palm of our hands. It is also our camera. We no longer have to take a roll of film to the drug store or the Fotomat. That's pretty cool.
This computer is also a phone. These are the days of miracles and wonder.
We have Chick-fil-A.
Waffle House takes debit cards.
Coke Zero.
You can watch a million and one TV shows, either through cable or streaming.
I've lived through the most interesting time in the best place to live. As Joe Walsh said, "Life's been good to me so far."


No comments:
Post a Comment