Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Son Of This Week's Picks


Once again, for the general public, I must go over the rules of This Week's Picks.

One, I like everybody's team and if I don't pick yours to win a game it does not mean I don't like your team.

Two, I actually give some thought about who I am going to pick to win. Okay, it is not a lot of thought. I usually don't consult Vegas, because it is all about the over and under and that stuff bores me for the simple reason I don't understand it. But, I do read a little bit and listen to some sports talk radio.

Listening to sports talk radio is almost always a mistake because the most of the callers are, to put it nicely, insane.

Host: "We have Bob from Emerson."

Bob: "This is Bob from Emerson".

Host: "Yeah, Bob, what do you think about the Georgia-Alabama game?"

Bob: "I think, it seems to me, that Georgia should have beaten Southern One Billion to Nothing and we would have too if Mark Richt wasn't such a homo. I'm going to hang up and listen to your response".

This goes on for hours.

Three, and I cannot say this often enough. I. AM. NOT. A. JINX.  I picked Tech all last year and they won. Now, I pick them for a couple of games and they lose. This, of course, has nothing to do with the quarterback over throwing receivers, defense not tackling, coaching, etc. No, it is my fault.

To be fair, I did coin the term "The Manis Jinx" as a little jokey joke.  I was kidding. I do not have the power to jinx. Anyway, if I had a power, it would be to become invisible, but I'm not going to go into the reasons why.

This Week's Picks!

Dawgs vs Tide:  I know most people think me and Mrs. Picks have a idyllic marriage. We do. However, even the best couples have their ups and downs. The last UGA-Bama game was in 2008 in Athens. I had been looking forward to that game all year. The game happened to fall on the same day as a wedding my wife wanted to attend. I spent a good part of 2008 telling my wife that I did not want to go to this wedding. We compromised: I went to the wedding with my wife. The wedding was being held in Timbuktu in the middle of absolute freaking nowhere. ("Absolute Freaking Nowhere" would have been a good name for a Neil Young album.) By the time we got there, the dialogue between my beloved and I resembled The Wolf of Wall Street.  Long story short: we made it back home for the kick off and Bama killed Georgia. Moral of the story: sometimes it is better to miss the Georgia game. For the first time in forever, Bama is listed as an underdog. I simply don't trust UGA yet. Bama wins!




Bumbled vs Heels of Tar:  Here's my life. I walk into church and someone with a Federal Security Clearance asks me why I picked Tech. I'm beginning to wonder myself. Okay, Bees, here's what you want: North Carolina wins!  I hope you are happy.



Pigs vs Why Me, Lord?:  Last week, Tennessee lost, again, in the last minutes, to a team that they had outplayed. On the internet, various reasons were offered, most centering around Butch Jones being a retard. Arkansas is not doing too well either but for a fat guy, Coach Bret Bielema has a hot wife. I just think it is Arky's day. Maybe they'll show his wife at the game. Arkansas wins!


This is what it means to "outkick your coverage"



Our Lady vs Orange Tiger:  Pope Francis was in Philadelphia last Sunday and the Eagles won. That has nothing to do with this game, but it looks like this is one of those years we are going to have to listen to how great Notre Dame is.  The stereotypical ethnic types with anger issues win!



No comments:

Post a Comment